Osho Quotes on Marriage
- Only fools think in terms of legality; otherwise, love is enough. And I am not against marriage — I am for love. If love becomes your marriage, good; but don’t hope that marriage can bring love. That is not possible. Love can become a marriage. You have to work very consciously to transform your love into a marriage.
- Marriage is a totally different phenomenon: it is the climax of love. Then it is good. I am not against marriage — I am for the REAL marriage. I am against the false, the pseudo, that exists. But it is an arrangement. It gives you a certain security, safety, occupation. It keeps you engaged. Otherwise, it gives you no enrichment, it gives you no nourishment.
- Marriage has made love disappear badly, marriage has made love disappear from the earth. Because for other considerations marriage is arranged — money, finance, family, prestige, astrology — all absurd. They have nothing to do with the heart of the two persons who are going to be married. So marriage is almost always a failure; only in rare accidents it is not so — but they are accidents, exceptions. They cannot be counted. Marriage is always on the rocks, because it is for wrong reasons. Only love can become the foundation of a real marriage, there is no other way. Because there is no other way to find that your wave length is exactly the same as the other’s, that you vibrate in the same way as the other. There is no other way to find it out.
- Be a little aware before you are trapped! Marriage is a trap: you will be trapped by the woman and the woman will be trapped by you. It is a mutual trap. And then legally you are allowed to torture each other forever.
- The first thing is love: love deeply. If you have been with a person for a few years, in deep love, and you have experienced all the joys and all the miseries, and still you decide to be with the person, then marriage is okay. Because marriage is only a legal arrangement, it cannot make anything more beautiful than it is. It can only make it ugly, it cannot beautify it. Once it is settled legally, once you start taking each other for granted, things will start going down rather than rising high.
- I have never said that love is destroyed by marriage. How can marriage destroy love? Yes, it is destroyed in marriage, but it is destroyed by you, not by marriage. It is destroyed by the partners. How can marriage destroy love? It is you who destroy it, because you don’t know what love is. You simply pretend to know, you simply hope that you know, you dream that you know, but you don’t know what love is. Love has to be learned; it is the greatest art there is.
- Your marriage is a subtle politics of domination. Your fatherhood, motherhood, is a subtle politics.
- Love marriage’ came into existence but is not going to survive, for the simple reason that love comes, happens, and one day suddenly goes. It was not in your hands to bring it; neither is it in your hands to keep it. The old marriage failed because the insistence was that you should love your wife, you should love your husband. It was a `should’. And you could not even conceive how you could love; at the most you could pretend, you could act. But love is not a pretension, is not an acting. You cannot do anything. You are absolutely powerless as far as love is concerned. The old marriage failed. The new marriage is failing because the new marriage is simply a reaction to the old marriage. It is not out of understanding, but only out of reaction, revolt — `love marriage.’
- One should marry only when one is wise enough. Marriage is not for young people. For young people is to fool around. Marriage is for those who have experienced life in many ways, who have seen all the colors, the whole spectrum of it, and are now ready to settle.
- I am all for love, because love fails. You will be surprised — I have my own logic. I am all for love, because love fails. I am not for marriage, because marriage succeeds; it gives you a permanent settlement. And that is the danger: you become satisfied with a toy, you become satisfied with something plastic, artificial, manmade.
- But I am all for love, and I am against marriage, particularly the arranged kind, because the arranged marriage gives you satisfaction. And love? — love can never satisfy you. It gives you more and more thirst for a better and better love, it makes you more and more long for it, it gives you tremendous discontentment. And that discontent is the beginning of the search for God. When love fails many times, you start looking for a new kind of lover, a new kind of love, a new quality of love. That love affair is prayer, meditation, sannyas.
- I am basically against marriage; obviously the question of divorce does not arise. I am against the accidental birth of people, because that is the basic cause for the earth being burdened with the retarded. I am in absolute agreement that love should be just play; the moment you start producing children it becomes business. And I cannot agree to produce this kind of humanity. I was teaching that whenever a couple… of course unmarried, because the law has nothing to do with your love. Love should be a freedom between two persons, and if from even one person love disappears they have to separate, as friends, with gratitude for all the beautiful moments they lived together. Loving affairs ending in the courts are absolutely ugly.
- You have not looked at the poor woman for years, for the simple reason that marriage makes things so certain. Marriage makes things so dead and dull. Marriage takes all surprise and wonder away. Marriage makes you take your wife for granted, your husband for granted. What is the need to look at your wife? She will be there tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and forever. You look at people when you know you may not be able to look at them again. Marriage kills; it makes something tremendously beautiful very ugly.
- I have never heard about any perfect marriage. They say perfect marriages are made in heaven. Nobody comes back from there so maybe it is true, but what kind of marriage will those perfect marriages be? There will be no tension, there will be no individuality in the man or in the woman. They will never collide, they will never fight. They will be too sweet to each other. And too much sweetness brings diabetes!
- Marriage is an institution that teaches a man regularity, frugality, temperance, forbearance and many other splendid virtues he would not need had he stayed single.
- Marriage itself never destroys anything. Marriage simply brings out whatsoever is hidden in you — it brings it out. If love is hidden behind you, inside you, marriage brings it out. If love was just a pretension, just a bait, then sooner or later it has to disappear. And then your reality, your ugly personality comes up. Marriage simply is an opportunity, so whatsoever you had to bring out will come out.I am not saying that love is destroyed by marriage. Love is destroyed by people who don’t know how to love. Love is destroyed because in the first place love is not. You have been living in a dream. Reality destroys that dream. Otherwise love is something eternal, part of eternity. If you grow, if you know the art, and you accept the realities of love-life, then it goes on growing every day. Marriage becomes a tremendous opportunity to grow into love.
- Marriage exists as an institution of exploitation, it is not togetherness. That is why no happiness comes out of it as a flowering. It cannot. Out of the roots of exploitation how can ecstasy be born?
- Marriage almost always never happens, because marriage means the celebration of togetherness. It is not a license. No registry office can give you marriage; no priest can give it to you as a gift. It is a tremendous revolution in the being, it is a great transformation in your very style of life, and it can happen only when you celebrate togetherness, when the other is no longer felt as the other, when you no longer feel yourself as I. When the two are not really two, a bridge has happened, they have become one in a certain sense. Physically they remain two, but as far as the innermost being is concerned, they have become one. They may be two poles of one existence but they are not two. A bridge exists. That bridge gives you glimpses of togetherness. It is one of the rarest things to come across a marriage. People live together because they cannot live alone. Remember this: because they cannot live alone, that is why they live together. To live alone is uncomfortable, to live alone is uneconomical, to live alone is difficult, that is why they live together. The reasons are negative.
- Marriage is not a natural phenomenon. It is artificial, arbitrary. And when it disappears you cannot do anything to bring it back. You can pretend, but that pretension makes you a hypocrite. And your pretension cannot deceive the woman, because she has known your love and the pretension cannot become the substitute. The only way is to separate — in friendship, because you have given each other so much.
- As I see it, out of a hundred marriages ninety-nine marriages are just licensed prostitution. They are not marriages. A marriage is only a real marriage when it grows out of love. Legal, illegal, does not matter. The real thing that matters is love. If love exists between two persons, it is blessed. If love does not exist between two persons, then all your laws put together cannot bridge them. Then they exist separate, then they exist apart, then they exist in conflict, then they exist always in war. And they create all kinds of trouble for each other. They are nasty to each other, nagging to each other, possessive of each other, violent, oppressive, dominating, dictatorial. In a better world, with a better humanity, things will be different. In a better world, the child born out of love will not be called bastard; the child only born out of license, law, will be called bastard.
- Bring more understanding to it. You will not be able to separate easily because love is involved. Without love marriage is easy, divorce is easy. It does not matter either way; it is a simple, utilitarian arrangement. If things-are going well, good; otherwise, say ‘goodbye’. But when you are involved in each other it is not easy, it is difficult. A part of your being has become incorporated in his being, a part of his being has become incorporated in your being. You really don’t exist as two individuals any more — you exist as a couple. A couple does not mean two persons living together. A couple means: two persons plugged into each other — no more really two… trying to be separate and yet trying to be together. That is the difficulty: one wants to remain dependent and one wants to remain independent. One is asking for two polar opposites.
- What do marriage vows show? They show that you may want to separate sometime in the future. If there is love between two people, the thought of taking vows never arises. This is only an indication of the absence of love. People do not marry out of love; they marry out of fear. If there is love on this earth, marriage will become redundant. When love is not, marriage is a must. We make arrangements for that which we cannot do. We make rules for that which we are not sure of.
I dont want to marriage i want to escape with it…whats the reason behind it i dont,know.Any one please help me whats the reason.
Sanjeet upadhyay : Dont escape from marriage.Just simply watch your mind saying this.Behind this you will know the reason,that why you are thinking this.You are saying “i dont want to marry”.Behind this saying there is a desire to marry.And You are trying to suppress the very idea of marrying.Its OK that you are living Happy Alone ,then there is no need to marry.And If You someday fall in love with a women in future,then this very idea can disappear immediately.Think understand and Meditate on this.
:)..hari om tatsat
Whatever Osho told is 100% true. Truth is bitter. 99% of marriages are out of utilitarian and not out of Love.
I disagree with Osho! marriage is not only for the wise, marriage and love is for the one that recognize that love, love has no age, no intelligence, time does not matter or even experience. People are ready to settle when they recognize that they have been loved, I been married for 22 years and loved for 25, and I am only 40. We have experience all the colors the whole spectrum together.
we can’t say what’s wrong what’s right.
everyone has individual life………so view should be individual…………….
I Completely Agree With Osho….not Just Because He Said That But I have seen It With My Own Eyes…..Our Whole Society is Practical Exampal Which Proves Him True.
I Agree With Him For What He Said……I Do Not Know Why But I M Against Marriage.
jai jai prabhu oso ji ki,,,,,,
Marriage is a Discipline Taken as a Discipline, it brings about the necessary transformation in a man/woman leading him/her into the secret of True Love .
This is what Indian Culture was all about . It defined the Goal of Life… Realisation of Self, God, Love.
Next, it said ..Life is a discipline ….. if certain conditions are fulfilled in thought, word and deed, the Goal shall be achieved …. nay, it shall fall in your Lap !
All major aspects/ phenomenon of Life … what better Goal could they have ? … Realisation of LOVE that is GOD .
Marriage , too …….. a Discipline having the same Goal …
For thousands,in this land, it worked …. for millions and millions, who are unable to appreciate its deep philosophy … and conform to this Discipline ……[ Discipline first ; Love,its flower, fragrance and fruit ]
…unable to conform to this Discipline .. …… the world IS as it is today …. intellectually full of Knowledge …. but far from God that is Love , OR Love that is God !
Osho’s words sound very beautiful to the men/ women of Today ! They are voicing the being of today’s human fraility, unable to practise the Discipline of marriage that ALL THE BUDDHAS HELD SACRED !
narinder only says …” Sorry, Osho …. may I have your permission to disagree ? …. in your own words, Osho … let us agree to disagree ! ”
One more thing ….. narinder is NOT into the Blame Game … it is woman to be blamed .. or it is Man, who is to be blamed …. Both are blameworthy … both are weak caricatures of the Divine Principle … the male and the Female !
Wanna proof of the Truth ? …. Sure ! Practise the Discipline and see !
Begin with Meditation…. o Thou just married husband, just married wife … and see …… Meditate. Meditate. Meditate.
Meditate… and watch your beloved children grow into the sacred Discipline of Life …….. wise, strong, Kind, humble, compassionate and loving …. instead of the traumatic orphans of broken marriages , depressed and lonely for Love True .
I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT ALL THE INSTITUTIONS AND STRUCTURES WERE
CREATED AFTER THE LONG LONG EXPERIMENTS OF MAN ON THIS EARTH AND WERE NOT CREATED IN A DAY OR TWO.IN THIS INFINITE JOURNEY OF MANKIND
ON THIS PLANET ALL THE ALTERNATIVES AND OPTIONS HAVE BEEN TESTED AND
AND WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF LOVE IS SUBJECT STILL TO BE DEBATED
ACCORDING TO MY PERSONAL OPINION LOVE SETTLES AND MATURES ONLY
PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER AND HAVE FINISHED WITH ALL THE PASSIONS AND EXCITEMENTS AND EMOTIONAL UPSURGES WHICH IS GENERALLY CONSIDERED TO BE LOVE.
AND I BELEIVE THAT A FEW SOCIAL BONDAGES AND UTILATARIAN IDEAS ARE
A CEMENTING FORCE FOR LOVE TO BE,THAT IS WHY I THINK THAT MARRIAGE
IS A BEAUTIFUL INSTITUTION.
BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT MARRIAGE IS FOR EVERYONE.
Perfect article. My kind of philosophy. These things are actually true. Marriage is very ugly. It ruins your personality, who you are. All the time you have think about others…what will people say, what society will think about us? Complete crap.
marriage is good but becomes dangerous when you got married to lady of different I.Q.
Totally confused…………………………But will go with OSHO
Cnfused……………………..But will go with osho
I completely agree wth Osho… based on every single marriage I know, it is wrong to think that u will b inlove wth the same person for ever till death do us appart… we can NOT control our feelings n that is a fact!!!!
again i m confused…………… but as per i concern i should go in this experience of marriage…………………..osho said that one can transform from sex to superconciousness……………………….for that marriage can become experiment……..
wonderful oshoji is always in truth side.
wonderful oshoji is
always in truth side.
we have been seeing
in this socity.
marraige is a legal protitution & a death stage of love really.osho is a realistic human being
some people recognise that they have been loved but do not get a marriage proposal because their partner wants to get money or a baby first. that brings fear of being a single parent.
I am against marriage ….
Where there is love there is no need to marry